ALL ARE WELCOME


A long history of worship and service to community
The history of Trinity United Church, Shediac is rooted deeply in the Methodist tradition.  As early as 1774. William Wells, one of the early founders of Methodism, arrived from Yorkshire, England, and settled in the Point de Bute area where the first Methodist Church in Canada was built.  In the 1820's, circuits of the Methodist Church were established within New Brunswick, and Shediac became part of the Petitcodiac circuit, which included all of Albert County and much of Westmorland.
 
At this time, there was no town of Shediac.   The district known as Shediac included Shediac Cape, a portion of the Dorchester Road (a section of land toward the Scoudouc River), and another section extending along the Mountain Road.  The religious affiliation of the people of that time was mainly Church of England.
 
In 1836, with the New Brunswick Legislature contemplating building a railway line from Saint John to Shediac, the Methodist Church in New Brunswick assisted the Methodists of Shediac in purchasing land on which to build a church.  The Methodist Church had an indenture drawn up with the purpose being to obtain "a deed for the settlement of a parcel of ground and chapel or place of religious worship of the people called Methodist in the connection established by the late Reverend John Wesley."  This indenture was filled "in Her Majesty's Court of Chancery in and for the Province of New Brunswick on the sixth day of August 1839."  This was the beginning of Methodism in Shediac.
 
As a result of this indenture, the first church in Shediac was built in 1841 as a Methodist church, at the location of the current Trinity church building.  In 1880, there were two Sunday Schools opened on the Petitcodiac Circuit, one in the Shediac location and one in Coverdale.  During the 1850s, the population of Shediac began to grow and the chapel built in 1841 was enlarged.  Because of continual growth, Shediac, in 1851, became part of the Sackville District and Moncton Circuit.
 
Tragedy struck the Methodist community in 1893 when their beloved church was destroyed by fire.  However, the beautiful memorial window, the pews, the Communion Table, reading desk, the hymn boards, and chairs were saved and are still a part of the present church.

The present church was constructed in 1894 and stands on the foundation of the original church.  It was dedicated on Sunday, October 31, 1894.  In 1925, the Methodist Church became part of The United Church of Canada.  The Shediac Methodist Church (1841, 1879) and St. David’s Presbyterian Church (1886), Scotch Settlement joined together at Church Union in 1925 to become the two-point Shediac Pastoral Charge.  In 1954 Lakeville United became the third point on the Charge.  In 2009, Trinity Shediac became a one-point Charge.


Since 1954, the following clergy have served the Shediac Pastoral Charge:
       Rev. Dr. H T Jones ………,,..…    -1954
       Rev. Glen Mathinson……..,.1955-1958
       Mr. R. MacDonald………...…,……1961
       Rev. Bruce Atkinson….........1961-1963
       Rev. Ron Feltmate………....1963-1967
       Rev. Dr. Ian MacKinnon.......1967-1973
       Rev, Betty Griffiths…...….....1973-1976
       Rev. Ron Stevens….......…..1976-1985
       Rev. Ray Ashford…..…........1985-1987
       Rev. Rosalyn Campbell........1987-1990 
       Rev. Margaret Sager…........1990-1994
       Rev. Ron Porter……...…..…1994-1997
       Rev. Len Mills……..........…..1998-2001
       Rev. Claudia Keller…….......2002-2009
       Rev. Roland Hutchinson…...2009-2019

       Rev. Danny Compton..........2019-preset

OUR WORSHIP HISTORY

SUNDAYS @ ​10:30 AM

A vibrant,  inclusive, caring, and supportive force  in our community-by-the-sea.

Copyright © Trinity United Church Shediac 2019. All rights reserved.