SUNDAYS @ 10:30 AM
Copyright © Trinity United Church Shediac 2019. All rights reserved.
Trinity United Church Shediac
Adam Tait (1830-1910) Groceries, Liquor Merchant
In 1848, Adam Tait returned to Chapman's Corner to build a marvelous house on the south side of the road leading the west side of the Scoudouc River Bridge. There he founded the Tait mecantile legacy with a store on the north side of the road between Chapman's Corner and the Scoudouc River.
He not only was a store owner but enjoyed construction as well. In 1861, he built the Cassie Cape lighthouse and later did some work on the Pointe du Chene Wharf. The construction lead to shipbuilding too. His first, built for John Armstrong of Saint John and christened "Jennie Armstrong", was a 117.6' long by 28.9' wide barque of 361 tonsand a hold of 14.8' deep. His second, created for his own use in 1875 and christened "Oyster Bed Lass", was a brigantine built near the mouth of the Scoudouc River. In 1877, this ship found its place in history by being the vessel which started the potato trade from Shediac to Bermuda and the West Indies.
"...the great need for a building which they could call their own became a must, and since the land had already been purhased, everyone worked very hard towards that end. ...all who desired to see Methodism established here were solicited for donations. These donations amounted to $780.00, and it was stated that three persons only were responsible for half of that total. Three local names mentioned at this time were Messrs. Adam Tait, W.H. Deacon and D.S. Harper."
(Trinity United Church: 100 Years of Christian Service 1879-1979)